Christmas

Monday, December 14, 2015

Less is More

With apologies to Mies van der Rohe, this statement is so true. With my trimming away of all things Christmas, I’m doing way less this year. But sometimes I feel as if I’m doing way more. That’s how my physical decline has affected me. I just do a little and I’m ready to stop.

Today the ugh..bought cards will be labeled and mailed. I cannot write anymore, and my husband’s penmanship is atrocious. So, I’m just putting our names on labels. I’m also enclosing a change-of-address note. I know my friends and family will be surprised, but I know they’ll understand.  Hopefully, next year, I’ll resurrect that tradition. Or… maybe it’s over.

My new form of decorating is gorgeous liquor store boxes. They’re everywhere. I think I have close to forty in the living room – filled to the top with books. What a lovely décor! By the time we celebrate Christmas, I may stack some to resemble a tree. I’d like to use one of my Christmas table cloths and some dishes, but I’m trying to hold fast to my resolve.

I’ve now finished fourteen kinds of cookies, and I’m winding down. Today I’ll make the palmiers and the sugar cookie dough. Tomorrow, I’ll roll, cut, and decorate that dough. I should be finished by Friday and then I’ll send out the basket gifts. Maybe I’ll do some chocolate pretzels, too.  Yesterday, we did the spritz – and my husband is a pro with the cookie press – even with my barking instructions!

Do you see how I can make less be more? I just keep adding on! Maybe I should just settle for a real “less!”

Peace,

Muff

12 comments:

  1. Hi Muff - I would love to have some of your cookies. That would be nice. We, like you, are surrounded by packed boxes from liquor tors and restaurant dumpsters - my husband goes dumpster picking for boxes. Good Lord! Our move is 2 weeks from today - so bittersweet. I wrote out 50 Christmas cards and each one had a note with our new address and phone number - My husband helped. He does so much as I can do so little of the packing, I organize and make lists of all the various paperwork we need to do to support moving to another state, insurances, doctors, prescriptions, change of address forms and lots more.Plus a survival travel bag so I can take care of basic needs once we arrive. Toilet paper,m garbage bags, our pills, body wash and other basic hygiene items, cell phone chargers, and on and on.....on between we are squeezing in visits with close family and friends that want to see us and say "so long". Bittersweet as well. Ok, I have rambled long enough. Hang on and so will I, k?
    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it all get overwhelming?! I'm giving away and trashing a lot, but still... Cookies don't mail well, so I can't send you any.

      Delete
    2. sorry about the other comment(s) I deleted one cuz it was not even in the right place. I got all confused and replied to olga's comment to you which had nothing to do with my earlier reply to you. my goodness a BIG sorry to all for the confusion.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering when you were going to get to the "less" segment of your post. That is a boat load of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's the most stressful time of the year. if i were on my own, i'd do away with almost all of it. i'm no grinch, but it all just gets to be too much for an introverted MSer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could handle it if I start in June!!

      Delete
  4. I didn't get around to cookies this year. Almost didn't put a tree up because I can't string the lights. Hubber's bought me a pre lit beauty, but it's 7 feet tall! I couldn't make my Christmas cards this year, sent store bought. But, at the end of the day, all that really matters at Christmas time, is love, I have plenty of that.

    ReplyDelete